Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014

Like many people, I try to make resolutions every year. I honestly don't know if I've actually accomplished what I planned to in previous years, because I don't remember. 

My original 2014 goal list:
     Play the bassoon in the local symphony
     Run a 5K
     Pass the exam to become an Enrolled Agent
     Start a book club
     Payoff my car
     Go visiting teaching every month
                                                          (random pic added to break up the wall of text)

Then...I came across a blog post that had an interesting take on New Year Resolutions. The post can be found here Rewriting Resolutions

For those who don't want to take the time reading it, it sums up to this:
One Word 365 is a community and a movement. It’s about forgetting resolutions and scrapping your list of goals that you’ll forget by next week – or be overwhelmed by in the same time frame. One Word 365 says:

    Choose just one word. 
One word that sums up who you want to be or how you want to live. One word that you can focus on every day, all year long.

     It will take intentionality and commitment, but if you let it, your one word will shape not only your year, but also you. It will become the compass that directs your decisions and guides your steps.
Now I had already thought of some things I'd like to accomplish in 2014. But I liked this idea much better. So I took a look at what I had written down and tried to decide on why I had listed these things. In the end I came up with my one word.
                                                                         Grow


                                          (2nd random pic-our 1st home moved in June 2013)
I suppose it could be argued this is what everyone tries to do every year when creating resolutions. But luckily, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks because this is my word.
Why did I choose this word?
Occasionally, despite all the wonderful blessings in my life, I have found myself feeling down. In these moments I felt like I had lost who I was, unsure of how to define myself as a person, wife, member of the church. It's a difficult feeling to explain and I'm grateful these moments are brief and rare. As I looked over my list I realized I want to find myself, dig deeper and discover and rediscover things I had forgotten and allow myself to grow and become the person that I really am. 
I would like to grow mentally, spiritually, physically, socially, maybe even financially :). It means putting myself out there, taking up old hobbies and finding new ones. I think I've allowed myself to stagnate because it is the easy way out. I'm afraid of failure, the uncertainty of trying something new and talking myself out of things because I'm a little shy and don't like to put myself out there. I'm not looking to reinvent myself; I just want to stop holding myself back. 
                                                             (Celebrating 5 years in March!)
I don't normally share personal stuff online. So while I'm at it I might as well mention how much I love and appreciate my sweet husband. Two days before Christmas I got all four of my wisdom teeth out. I am so grateful that one of the first things I was aware of after "waking up" was Kyle sitting next to me holding my hand. He said it was because I kept trying to touch my face, but I think it's because he likes me. He also stayed with me the rest of the day, brought me ice packs and soft foods. You wouldn't know it by looking at him, but he's a pretty good guy.

-Courtney

1 comment: